Ask Your Doctor
Getting the most out of the time you have with your healthcare team sometimes means asking the right questions.
Getting the Right Information at the Right Time
The information on this website is intended to supplement what you have discussed with your healthcare team. Combining this information with what you have already been told may help you make important treatment decisions.
- to decide whether or not you want to have treatment
- to choose between different types of treatment
- to decide whether you want to continue with the same treatment
What you choose to do should depend on what is important to you.
3 Good Questions to Ask
When it comes to you having to make decisions about your healthcare, in collaboration with your healthcare team, it is a good idea to ask these 3 questions:
1. What are my options?
2. What are the pros and cons of each option for me?
3. How do I get support to help me make a decision that is right for me?
These 3 questions are based on Shepherd HL, et al. Three questions that patients can ask to improve the quality of information physicians give about treatment options: A cross-over trial. Patient Education and Counselling, 2011;84: 379-85